…standing tall since early decades of 20th century, the institute is steadily sailing through the millennium change and has emerged into one of the most prominent institution- Indian Institute of Technology IIT(ISM) with full bloom functioning of 18 branches of Engineering, Applied Sciences, Management Studies and Humanities. IIT (ISM) has had a centenary long credentials of outperforming achievements/contributions in academia and the industry.
The Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) constituted under Institute of Technology Act, 1961 is administered through IIT Council-the apex body, Government of India under the Chairmanship of Honourable Minister, MoHRD for uniform and smooth governance of Pan-IIT in our country.
Further, Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) functions under tandem administrative guidance of Board of Governors (BoG) & Finance Committee (FC) headed by Chairman and Director, IIT(ISM) as its member.
Academic administration is the domain of Senate constituted of all the Professors of IIT(ISM) and few other nominated members from reputed organizations. Director, IIT(ISM) is the ex-officio Chairman. The Senate helps in structuring the course-curriculum, research activities and all other academic activities towards creating a learning ambience in the institute and to facilitate overall academic excellence.
IIT(ISM) offers thirteen 4-years B.Tech programmes in various branches of Engineering like Chemical, Civil, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical, Electronics & Communication, Electronics & Instrumentation, Engineering Physics, Environmental Science & Engineering, Mechanical, Fuel & Mineral, Mining Machinery, Mining and Petroleum. It also offers 5- years Dual Degree (B.Tech + M.Tech) Programme in Computer Science & Engineering. Besides, it offers 5 years Integrated M.Tech Programme in Applied Geology & Applied Geophysics and Mathematics & Computing. The Institutes also offers 3-years Masters programmes viz. MSc. (Tech) in Applied Geology & Applied Geophysics, 2-years M.Sc. Programmes in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics & Computing. It offers higher degrees in Management and Humanities as well, in addition to PhD & PDF in various streams.
IIT(ISM) Dhanbad adopts a total transparent admission process ; B.Tech. through JEE (Advanced) and M. Tech. through GATE conducted at Pan-India level. Admissions to MBA programmes are done on valid CAT/ GMAT Score. However, students from foreign countries are admitted through sponsorships of the respective embassy.
The Office of the Dean (Research and Development) drives strategic planning and provide guidance across academic and research programs, fostering new and interdisciplinary research initiatives and collaborations
ABOUT CENTRAL RESEARCH FACILITIES (CRF)
A Central Research Facility at Indian School of Mines (ISM) will be a Centre of national importance at which the high-quality equipment with cutting edge technologies concentrated at a single location which will provide scientific and technical services for researchers. Such a facility is an important tool for strengthening the research-relevant infrastructure of science and, consequently, represents a key prerequisite for preserving and raising the efficiency of research. Sophisticated analytical instruments are vital for pursuing research in all areas of modern science and technology.
OBJECTIVES OF CRF
• To establish state-of- the-art research facilities and instruments to support advanced research under one umbrella;
• To support and promote inter- and multi- disciplinary research in contemporary and frontier areas;
• To enable Faculty members and research scholars of I.S.M to get the facilities of most advanced instruments without the need of going to outside Institutions as is the case at present.
• To establish supporting facilities (e.g. Double Distilled Water Plant, Milli-Pore and Milli-Q water Plant, Liquid Nitrogen Plant etc. ) for smooth running of instruments.
In addition to the main objectives as given above the Centre will also carry out following other activities:
• Organizing short term courses/workshops on the use and application of various instruments and analytical techniques;
• Impart training to technicians for maintenance and operation of sophisticated instruments;
• Acquiring and developing capability for preventive maintenance and repair of sophisticated instruments;
• Generating institutional fund by providing these facilities to the users.